Search This Blog

Monday 8 December 2014

How to Put the Power Back into PowerPoint Presentations



Up until recently, I, like many of you reading this, made mistakes when making PowerPoint presentations.  These mistakes took the power out of the PowerPoint presentations I made, and often stopped me from getting my point across too.  I made mistakes, but I made them unconsciously as I copied the style of presentation I had seen many times before, by the lecturers and teachers who had taught me.   Then I was shown the Ted Talks video, 'How To Avoid Death By PowerPoint', by David JP Phillips.  This video changed the way I use PowerPoint, by given me 5 basic rules to follow when creating a PowerPoint presentation:

1. One Message per Slide: More then one message and all other messages get lost.

2. Short Messages: Do not use long sentences or passages.

3. Size: Make sure the most important message in the largest, not the heading.

4. Use Dark Backgrounds: It assists the audience in focusing on the presenter, rather then the presentation.  

5.  Only Have Six Objects per Slide.

Following these rules will help you make presentations more effective.

You can watch David JP Phillips explain why these rules make better PowerPoint presentations in the above video.

No comments:

Post a Comment